Study Visas

Prior to leaving for South Africa applicants must approach a South African Embassy, Consulate or Trade Office in their home country and obtain a study visa. In terms of current South African legislation, South African universities are not allowed to register international students who do not hold valid study visas. Study visas cannot be applied for in South Africa.

 Study visa application procedures

In terms of revised policy on the admission of international students it is imperative that students await the outcome of their applications for study permits in their countries of origin or residence. Study permits are renewed prior to expiry. It normally takes six weeks for study permit applications to be processed.

Where to go to apply for a Study Permit

You are required to apply for a study permit at the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in your country of origin. If there is no South African representative in your country, you must apply to the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission nearest to your home country.

 When do you apply for a Study Permit

You may make an application for a Study Permit/Visa once you have received a letter from the University offering you a place to study, together with a letter in support for an application for a study visa.

 How do you apply for a Study Permit

• Collect the appropriate Study Permit application from the South African Embassy, Consulate, High Commission or Trade Mission in your country.
• Complete and return the Study Permit application to the office where you collected the form initially, together with:
• A valid passport.
• Our letter offering you a place to study.
• Proof that you are financially in a position to pay tuition fees and have adequate means of support.
• A medical certificate as provided on the study permit application form and details of arrangements made with regard to medical or insurance cover.
• Repatriation guarantee: Where a South African sponsoring body, South African citizen or permanent resident of the country is not prepared to give a written undertaking as provided in the application form BI-159, you will be required to lodge a cash deposit or bank guarantee equivalent to airfare or transportation costs to your country of origin for repatriation purposes, or forfeiture to the South African government should permit conditions not be complied with.
• The repatriation guarantee deposit should be paid by the student or the sponsor. The University does not accept responsibility for payment of repatriation guarantee deposits.
• You are advised to  submit the above documentation as soon as possible to the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission. Do not send the above documents to the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Please keep copies of all documentation submitted for your reference and future use.

Contact Webmaster | View the Promotion of Access to Information Act | View our Privacy Policy
© University of KwaZulu-Natal: All Rights Reserved