Health Insurance

In terms of the Immigration Amendment Act 19 of 2004 prospective students to the Republic of South Africa must provide proof of medical cover with a medical scheme registered in terms of the  Medical Schemes Act, 1998 Act 31 of  1998.  Some insurance products may be accepted to secure a study visa (be they South African or not) but the UKZN only accepts Health/Medical Insurance approved in terms of the Act. UKZN requires proof of Momentum or Compcare medical aid cover with a South  African  medical aid scheme for the full academic year (until 31 December).  It must cover the minimum for hospitalisation, emergencies, medicine and doctor’s visits. You may contact the following persons to seek advice or to purchase medical insurance:

• Debbie Pretorius.

Email: and

• Geshal Chettiar.


Telephone: +27 (0) 31 566 8400 

Please make the necessary financial arrangements for the medical aid cover prior to entering South Africa.  Do advise your sponsor of this requirement.  It is not sufficient to produce a letter indicating medical cover sponsorship. The sponsor must organise payment for the required cover directly to the medical aid company, separate to the tuition fees. Students will not be able to register unless they can provide proof of a valid comprehensive medical aid cover. 

 Important notes

• The University is not permitted to register you until you have produced your study permit and proof of Health Insurance.
• You must present your passport with valid study permit and health insurance to the International Support Office during registration.
• Students who change their choice of institution should obtain a new permit from the Department of Home Affairs.
• An  offer of a place to study at University does not bind the Department of Home Affairs in any way to allow that person into the country, nor does it remove the need to obtain official permission from the Department.
• A study permit does not qualify an international student to become a South African citizen.  Students wishing to become South African citizens should go back to their home countries from where they can apply through a South African representative.

Contact Webmaster | View the Promotion of Access to Information Act | View our Privacy Policy
© University of KwaZulu-Natal: All Rights Reserved